Saturday, August 11, 2012

Milk Tea (奶茶) - Canteen (Central / 中環)

Milk Tea (奶茶)
Milk Tea () - HK$14

The Hungry Nobody score - 4/10
For a somewhat upscale 茶餐廳 it's milk tea is decent, but still lacks sufficient flavor

Canteen (Central)
Shop M20-28 Prince's Building, 10 Chater Road, Central
中環遮打道10號太子大廈閣樓
(+852) 2524 6792
Mon-Fri 0700-2100 / Sat 0700-2030 / Sun & PH 0900-1930

What I did like was that the milk tea is hot, and has decent tea flavor and milk balance.  I often find just adding 1/2 pouch of sugar is sufficient for their milk tea.

What I didn't like was the milk tea seems a bit 'light' to me.  I'm not sure what 'traditional' milk tea should be like, but I definitely don't think Canteen does it quite right.  While the balance between milk and tea is fine, somehow there isn't enough of a milk flavor to it.  Not at all in the sense that I want too strong a milk flavor, but it almost seems entirely absent (of course that's a slight exaggeration).  I think good milk tea should have some sense of milkiness, not too much of course, but just enough so that it makes the milk tea smooth.  Canteen's milk tea is definitely missing something on that front and it feels like I'm drinking milk tea flavored water (again exaggerating, sort of).  All in all though, it's still a decent milk tea, but hate that it costs that much to add to a meal (see below).

Note:  You can add a hot milk tea with most meals for HK$9

No comments:

Post a Comment