Saturday, August 18, 2012

Beef Brisket with Noodles in Soup (牛腩麵) - 鳳城珠記麵家 (Macau / 澳門)

Beef Brisket with Noodles in Soup (牛腩麵)
Beef Brisket with Noodles in Soup (牛腩) - HK$18

The Hungry Nobody score - 6/10
One of the more straight forward beef brisket noodles, but good value, even by Macanese standards.

鳳城珠記麵家
營地大街127號地下, 澳門
(+853) 2857 4262 / 2897 2704
Hours: 1230-1800 / 1900-0100

What I did like was that this bowl of noodles, by Hong Kong standards, was pretty good value at $18.  The bowl isn't as small as I would expect, but since this is Macau and not HK, I have to tone down my excitement a notch.  Still, it's very good just based on the food itself.  The noodles, are a bit overcooked, and nothing to write home about, but are decent.  The brisket, with a good mix of tendon as well, is decently tender with your typical noodle house soy bean stew flavoring.  Decent noodles, with decent meat (and a good sized portion of meat) at a good price equals a happy THN.  Decent!  (ok ok, I promise to find a new adjective to use)

What I didn't like was that the brisket wasn't the most tender I've had.  It wasn't tough, but if it was better quality meat and more tender, this could have been one of my favorites in terms of value.  The flavor was a bit lacking as well, as the soup for the noodles drowned out most of the flavor from the original sauce that the brisket was stewed in.  Not that there wasn't any flavor, but I prefer my beef brisket to have more.

No comments:

Post a Comment