Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pineapple Bun with Butter (菠蘿油) - 金鳳茶餐廳 (Wan Chai / 灣仔)

Pineapple Bun with Butter (菠蘿油)
Pineapple Bun with Butter (菠蘿油) - HK$10

The Hungry Nobody score - 5/10
For a signature food item, I'm disappointed - for a pineapple bun, it's pretty good.

金鳳茶餐廳
G/F 41 Spring Garden Lane, Wan Chai
灣仔春園街41號春園大廈地下
(+852) 2572 0526
Hours: 0600 - 1900

What I did like was that the pineapple bun had a heavy consistency to it, giving the bun a chunkiness that was quite satisfying.  The bun itself is a nice size, higher than usual, and that's probably due to the doughy inside.  The topping isn't too sweet, which is good, as they can often overpower the taste of the bun.

What I didn't like was that I got there in the afternoon, and the pineapple buns were not fresh nor hot when I got served mine - HUGE difference.  Small stuff first - the topping was rather small compared to other 菠蘿, but honestly, that's just nitpicking.  I don't think I've ever had a pineapple bun where there wasn't enough topping, so it's more just me commenting about the amount - it could have been bigger.  The butter, was somewhat necessary as the bun itself was a little bland without it.  The main issue is simple, cold pineapple bun = no fun to eat.  Well, it was warm enough to slowly melt the butter, but trust me, eating a lukewarm heavy bun killed all the enjoyment.

Note:  It wouldn't surprise me if I give this item another chance when it's fresh out of the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment