Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chicken Pie (雞批) - 金鳳茶餐廳 (Wan Chai / 灣仔)

Chicken Pie (雞批)
Chicken Pie (雞批) - HK$8

The Hungry Nobody score - 3/10
Old style lard pie doesn't appeal to my current style belly

金鳳茶餐廳
G/F 41 Spring Garden Lane, Wan Chai
灣仔春園街41號春園大廈地下
(+852) 2572 0526
Hours: 0600 - 1900

What I did like was that the chicken was moist and tender.

What I didn't like was that if you're looking for old style lard 雞批, then this might be your cup of heart attack tea.  Since I'm not eating this out of nostalgia (no idea if 雞批 were like this in the old days, maybe some people love it like this), I have to say that this chicken pie was something that I pretty much didn't enjoy eating.  Unfortunately, I went in the afternoon, when the batch wasn't fresh out of the oven, so firstly, it was not warm. This made it worse, as the pastry is utterly so heavy from the absurd amount of butter/lard they must have used, that after my first bite, I could feel my stomach immediately send a message to my brain to 'stop eating, you're full'!  Secondly, the chicken filling was scarce, as you can see from the photo.  You basically had to pop a quarter of the pie in your mouth at a time or else you would be eating all pastry.  The heavy feeling you got from the pastry also overpowered any flavor the filling might have had (which is pretty hard to do if you think about it).  Overall, I'm not a huge fan of heavy pastries, so if you are, then maybe up the rating to around a 6.  I'll also call you next time I happen to order this (don't worry, you won't be getting a call from me).

No comments:

Post a Comment