Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dan Dan Noodles (台式擔擔撈麵) - King's Dumpling 金牌小籠 (Tsim Sha Tsui / 尖沙咀)


Dan Dan Noodles (台式擔擔撈麵)
Dan Dan Noodles (台式擔擔撈麵) - HK$28 (um... sorry, pictured as half eaten, but kind of appropriate since I think the dish wasn't very good...)
The Hungry Nobody score - 4/10
Not a big fan of their different tasting dan dan (limp) soupy noodles.

King's Dumpling
Shop 404-5, 4/F, The One, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
金牌小籠
九龍彌敦道尖沙咀100號 The ONE L404-5號
(+852) 2489 8066
www.kingsdumpling.com


What I did like was that the 擔擔麵 were not weighed down by a heavy peanut sauce nor a thick coating of peanut/sesame oil.  The spiciness also was not the main feature of the sauce, which was nice as well.

What I didn’t like was that the noodles were a bit overcooked.  This is probably due in some part that the noodles had a bit more soup than normal.  So either they just need to cook it less, or they need to serve the dish to me faster to prevent the noodles from getting soggy.  I vote for the latter.  The taste of the 擔擔麵 is a little different than what I expect, it lacks the pure peanut flavor that most places have, and this could be a good thing.  The problem is the dish overall lacks any type of identity in terms of flavors, so it’s a negative in my mind.  Although it wasn’t too bad overall, I don’t think I’d order this again just cause, well, it didn’t taste like 擔擔麵 to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment