Sunday, August 26, 2012

Caramel Flan / Custard Pudding (焦糖餡餅) - Jusco (Quarry Bay / 鰂魚涌)

 Caramel Flan / Custard Pudding (焦糖餡餅) - HK$25

The Hungry Nobody score - 5/10
Disappointing, has that factory made taste and could use more caramel sauce

Jusco (Quarry Bay)
Kornhill Plaza (South), 2 Kornhill Road, Quarry Bay
香港鰂魚涌康山道2號康怡廣場(南)
(+852) 2884 6888
Hours: 08:30 - 23:00 (7 days/wk)




What I did like was that the flan is smooth and light.  Unlike some cream based puddings which can be rich and heavy, this flan had silky consistency.  Although I was able to polish it off quite easily, the portion was pretty decent so it didn't leave me feeling like I needed to eat another one.  The flan itself gave a hint of eggy vanilla goodness, and the caramel sauce wasn't overpoweringly sweet.  Very well balanced flavors.

What I didn't like was that while the flavor of the flan was well balanced, I couldn't help but detect a 'factory' taste to it.  It was like I could almost taste the steel drums that the flan mixture was mixed in.  It wasn't strong, but it just lingered enough that I couldn't completely enjoy my flan.  Lastly, since the caramel sauce wasn't very strong, they could have put more in.  Just a personal preference, but overall I was a bit disappointed for the price I paid.  If it was around HK$18, then I think it would have received 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment