Thursday, August 23, 2012

Salted Crispy Chicken (鹽酥雞扒) - Xiao Taipei (小台北)

Salted Crispy Chicken (鹽酥雞扒)
Salted Crispy Chicken (鹽酥雞扒) - HK$22

The Hungry Nobody score - 6/10
Better than expected, good sized chicken, but could have been better with a touch less batter.

Xiao Taipei
小台北
Shop F1 Level 4A Langham Place, 8 Argyle Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon
九龍旺角亞皆老街8號朗豪坊4樓 F1號舖
(+852) 3514 4068

What I did like was that I just like how the Taiwanese make this dish.  It's quite the healthy dish - deep fried, lots of salt seasoning, and of course you have to eat the skin.  But seriously, it's a tasty snack, and Xiao Taipei does a decent job of replicating it.  The problem with most places I find is either they use chicken breast (which makes the meat less juicy and tender), or the size of the chicken is too small.  You don't have either problem here, they use a good sized chicken thigh and the seasoning is not overpowering.  So all in all, you get a faithful representation of the dish at a very reasonable price.

What I didn't like was that not unlike most other places, they tend to use a lot of batter to create the crispy part.  I know it's supposed to be like that, but I still think it can be done with less batter.  Maybe purists will disagree with me here, but I find I'm eating too much batter some parts and not enough chicken.  Not a big problem, as you can just remove some of the batter!

Note:  You can order this as a meal for $42 that will include rice and a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment